12 Quotes That Will Make Sure You Grow Old & Happy Together
I think a lot of us have this dream…
You want to meet that special person and grow old and happy together.
You picture yourself with your spouse when you’re 80 or 90 years old, still holding hands, kissing passionately, laughing together and just being each others best friend.
But the truth is that relationships are not easy. Every couple will argue and fight at times or have differences they are trying to work through.
Even the happiest looking couples will go through hard times. There’s no escaping it.
In the end, it all comes down to how we deal with these challenging times in our relationship or marriage and the choices we make.
Sometimes it’s good to have a few little nuggets of wisdom in the back of our head. And yes, I’m talking about quotes. They often hold a lot of wisdom and you can use them as guidance for making the right choices in your relationship or marriage.
I have read a lot of quotes throughout the years and here’s my collection of the best ones that I came across. Feel free to add your favorite quote in the comment section down below.
1. “The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It’s a choice you make-not just on your wedding day, but over and over again-and that choice is reflected in the way you treat you husband or wife.” – Barbara de Angelis
2. “A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself — to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart.” –Leo F. Buscaglia
3. “Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.” – Anthony Robbins
4. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
5. “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice.” – Fawn Weaver
6. “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
7. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.” – Bruce Lee
8. “Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it.” – Swedish proverb
9. “Love is a verb. Love – the feeling – is the fruit of love the verb or our loving actions. So love her. Sacrifice. Listen to her. Empathize. Appreciate. Affirm her.” – Stephen R. Covey
10. “You don’t marry the person you can live with … you marry the person you can’t live without.” – Unknown Author
11. “The greatest marriages are built on teamwork. A mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace.” – Fawn Weaver
The best advice for a happy and loving relationship
As you probably noticed, there are only 11 quotes so far. That’s because I kept the best one for last.
This quote is my personal favourite and something that I use as a guide for my marriage with Chantalle. I even have a little card with this quote written on it in my wallet.
It’s a verse from the Bible and, even if you’re not religious, I believe this is some of the best advice you can get for ending up old and happy together.
Here it is:
12.“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records or wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres.
Love never fails.”