If you’re feeling lonely, just remember that you’re not the only one!
Many people are hoping to make new friends too, and like you, they just don’t know where to start.
To make it super easy for you, here a list of 29 different ways to make new friends.
Hopefully, you can pick up a few new ideas for yourself and never have to feel lonely again.
1. Volunteer somewhere – Volunteering will allow you to join a new community of people and connect with others who have similar interests to you.
2. Join a class of some sort (art, cooking, a language class etc.) – Again, you will be able to meet and engage with new people with similar interests to you.
3. Add new people on Facebook and talk to them – Maybe introducing yourself to new people is a little hard for you. If so, then adding new people on Facebook and then connecting with them is a great way to break the ice.
4. Revive an old friendship – If you really think about it, there are probably a lot of people that you know or used to be good friends with, that you would like to catch up with again.
5. Join a sports team – Joining a sports team gives you automatic entry into a whole new community of people, plus it’ a great way to bond and have fun with others.
6. Go to church – Many modern churches have a lot of young and old people. Many of them are very friendly, have a lot of social gatherings and a big sense of community.
7. Walk a dog – Believe it or not but you can meet a lot of people by walking a dog!
8. Invite a neighbour over for a barbecue – What’s even better than inviting a neighbour over for a barbeque is inviting the whole street! Why not take advantage of the fact that you have neighbours and connect with them.
9. Invite a work colleague out for a drink or movie – Your workplace is a great place to make new friends. Since you are already familiar with your work colleagues, it will probably be easier to make conversation and connect with them than trying to befriend a complete stranger.
10. Initiative to hang out with someone that you would like to see more often – Is there someone that you see occasionally? Or maybe you only see them in a group environment? Be bold and ask if they would like to hang out with you one on one.
11. Do your best to accept every invitation for an event or hang out – Meeting new people can be scary or maybe sometimes you are just not in the mood. Remember that the more you surround yourself with new people, the more likely you will meet new friends.
12. Don’t be too picky – Keep an open mind when meeting new people. Often people can be a little shy or act differently in group settings, so judging them too quickly might mean that you miss out on a potential new friend.
13. Be confident – Tell yourself that you are funny, interesting and a valuable friend. Own that identity as you go out. You will find that as you value and believe in yourself, people will value and believe in you too.
14. Carpool to work with a colleague – Perhaps you’re a little shy to invite a work colleague out. Take the opportunity to car pool to break the ice and get to know them better.
15. Go to conventions – Comic book or gaming conventions for example are a great way to meet a lot of new people.
16. Join a book club – By joining a book club, you will be able to connect with people on a deeper level as you discuss and share ideas.
17. Steal friends from friends – Our friends usually have other friends of their own. Why not make friends with your friends friends? Chances are, they probably have similar interests to you too.
18. Attend a conference – There can be hundreds or even thousands of people at a conference. This means that there will be a lot of new people that you can introduce yourself to and hopefully keep in touch with.
19. Talk to strangers – You never know what people are going through around you. Who knows, you might just happen to talk to someone who is exactly like you, who is looking for new friends too and maybe even knows some of the same people you know. It won’t hurt to just put yourself out there a bit.
20. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself – If you go to all these different events and parties but are afraid of introducing yourself, well, sadly you probably won’t meet many new friends.
21. Initiate a get-together and invite people who you don’t know so well but would like to know better – It’s easier to invite people you don’t know so well to your party than to ask them out for coffee.
22. Throw a party and get everyone to bring a plus one – Not only will there be many new faces at your party, but you will be known as the host. You can use this as your excuse to introduce yourself to the people you don’t already know.
23. Pursue common interests – If you’re chatting away to someone and discover that you share similar interests, act on it! Ask if they want to join you sometime to do a particular activity.
24. Keep in contact with new people that you meet – Don’t forget to keep in contact with the people you meet. It might feel a little awkward if you don’t know them so well, but just remember that some of them would love to be your friend.
25. Go out with just one friend and make it your goal to meet someone new – When you go out with a group of people, you are less likely to meet new people. With just one friend, you can easily talk to and make friends with new faces.
26. Participate in forums – There are many different forums out there that cover different topics and interests. If you’re looking to connect with people on a deeper level and share your personal challenges with them, then a forum is a great place to start. In a forum, you will find like-minded people who are going through similar things to you.
27. If you have children, organize play dates for your children (and make friends with the parents!) – Genius! This is one of the smartest ways to make new friends because you can secretly use your child as your excuse to meet up.
28. Talk to lots of people!! – If you’re at an event, a party or wherever…..just remember to talk to a lot of people. There are thousands of people and potential friends around you every day, but if you don’t talk to them…you will never know.
29. Listen to people – Don’t just talk about yourself, listen and ask questions to others. The best way to make new friends is to show interest in others. The truth is that people are only interested in people who are interested in them.
Over to you…
Well, there you go! 29 super easy ways to make new friends.
Did you manage to find some new ideas in the list above that you would like to try out? If so, what are they? And do you have any ideas that you can add?